Facts and figures

The money invested over five years in NIHR SRMRC totals £15 million from a number of different organisations:

Investment over five years in the NIHR SRMRC

University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust and University of Birmingham £5 million
Ministry of Defence £5 million
Department of Health £5 million
TOTAL £15 million

Current national investment

Government R&D funding: £10 million
Private charities and companies: £5 million

Between 2003 – 2010, NIHR itself spent around £34 million on trauma research

Cost of trauma treatment

  • In 2010, the NAO estimated that major trauma costs the NHS between £300m and £400m a year in immediate treatment. This includes the cost of ambulance transportation, immediate hospital stay and the cost of all procedures performed during that stay.
  • The cost of any subsequent hospital treatments, rehabilitation, home care support or informal carer costs are unknown. NAO estimates the annual lost economic output because of major trauma is between £3.3bn and £3.7bn.

Patient numbers

National

  • Trauma is the leading cause of death for people aged under 44 in the UK
  • Around 20,000 people suffer trauma every year in the UK
  • Around 5,400 of these injuries lead to death
  • For every trauma fatality, between three and four patients survive with a serious or permanent disability
  • Around 98 per cent of those injuries are blunt force trauma, such as car accidents or falls. The remaining 2 per cent of injuries are penetrating injuries such as gunshots or knife wounds

QEHB

  • QEHB treats approximately 700,000 civilian and military patients every year in a huge range of disciplines
  • Of these patients, approximately 415 have suffered major trauma

Military

  • Between 2006 and August 2011, the hospital has treated 253 military patients categorised as Very Seriously Injured and 264 categorised as Seriously Injured. For the latest statistics, please visit www.dasa.mod.uk
  • The NAO estimated that the cost of medical care to the NHS because of military operations was £71m in 2008-09.
  • Uncontrolled haemorrage (bleeding) is the cause of death for approximately half of military patients who die of penetrating trauma.

Differences between military and civilian trauma

  • Many military patients are injured in similar circumstances to civilians:
    • motor vehicle collision
    • sports injuries
    • falls
    • heavy lifting
  • However, while motor vehicle collision is responsible for more than half of civilian trauma it makes up only 5.1% of military trauma
  • Infection is more likely in military trauma because of the environment and the nature of the injury
  • Military trauma is typically more severe than civilian trauma